Horizons Father & Son Club
Horizons Club is a club for fathers and sons in 5th through 7th grade. It teaches boys to become men of character. They learn to overcome difficulties, to stick to a task until it is finished, to respect others, to aspire to higher ideals. For the fathers, the club provides tools to help them educate their sons to be this sort of man.
What Are the Goals?
For the Boys- To begin thinking what kind of men they want to be when they grow up. To learn about some fundamental virtues and how they can live them. To engage in fun yet manly activities where they can develop their character. To become friends with other boys who are developing their character.
For the Fathers- To have a chance to be with their sons in a fun atmosphere. To better understand and articulate the virtues and see how they can help their sons acquire them. To have more occasions for the conversations they want to have with their sons about deeper subjects.
What Happens at the Club Meetings?
- 20 minute talk for the boys on some aspect of character; the fathers also attend.
- 30 minute activity for the boys of a creative or intellectual type like skits, magic tricks, charades, or jeopardy.
- 50 minute physical activity for boys with the fathers: sports, or something like repairing bicycle flats or splitting logs or building a tree house.
- 30 minute talk for the fathers on the virtues (general aspects as well as specific virtues). This occurs during the activity period.
- Concluding snack with general socializing of the fathers and sons.
- A priest available for Confession throughout the afternoon.
Who Can Join the Horizons Club?
Fathers and their 5th – 7th grade sons. Fathers are expected to attend the monthly meetings with their sons.
2017/2018 Horizons Club Meetings
The cost for a father and son is $120 and $60 for each additional son.
Dates and Times
The club normally meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. The September meeting is an all-day hike. The 2017/2018 Horizons Club meetings will take place on Sept 23rd, Oct 28th, Nov 25th, Feb 24th, Mar 24th, and Apr 28th. Additionally, there will be a winter weekend (two choices) in Vermont in January and February.
The January and February sessions are winter weekends in Vermont. Club meetings from October to May will generally take place at: Chestnut Hill Center 481 Hammond Street Chestnut Hill, MA 02467.